A driver under the influence of alcohol has no place on American roads, most especially in California. The federal government has been implementing laws that aim to prevent intoxicated people from operating a vehicle that plying the country’s roads. Every year, hundreds of thousands of drunk drivers are apprehended by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Hundreds of thousands of those arrested for DUI have been convicted and have had their licensed either suspended or cancelled by the authorities. However, despite the number of those arrested and got convicted for such act continues to rise.
The Cold, Hard Facts
Did you know that there have been 24,343 recorded cases of motor vehicle crashes in California? Because of these accidents 1,768 people have died. In its aim to minimize or lessen the number of accidents in the state, government agencies conducted campaigns to apprehend drunk drivers. These campaigns resulted to 195,879 arrests of people violating the country’s DUI laws.
And so to better understand why drunken people still chose to violate existing California DUI laws, authorities have conducted a comprehensive study about DUI and found out the following.
The Progress of Anti-DUI Campaigns
In the DUI crashes where there were fatalities or injured people, 34.7 percent of that hit fixed, stationary objects. On the other hand 52.7 percent of the cases involved more than two vehicles. 2010 has been a successful year for California’s transportation sector as there has been a 15.1 percent decrease in the number of DUI fatalities. On the other hand, for drug-related accidents, the number of fatalities dropped by 2.4 percent from the same period in 2009. However, there had been a 63 percent increase of fatalities over the last decade.
Decrease in DUI Offenses
Authorities have observed that the one-year rate for recidivism has gone down dramatically, hitting record-lows in 20 years. Re-offense rates for first-time offenders of DUI laws that were arrested in 2009 was 44.7 percent lower than those recorded in the 90’s. Moreover, the arrest of DUI offenders under the age of 21 has decreased from 8.5 percent in 2009 to just 8.1 percent the following year.
DUI Offenders Based on Gender and Ethnicity
Of all the people arrested for the violation of DUI laws, 77.6 percent of those were male drivers. The other 22.4 percent were female drivers. While women offenders are lesser compared to male drivers, authorities have observed consistent growth of female offenders since 1989. For 2010, Hispanics have the largest representation of those who got arrested for DUI. Whites on the other hand were the largest group, comprising 42.8 percent of those arrested.
What a Lawyer for DUI Can Do To Help You?
If you have been arrested for DUI, you will definitely need the help to come up with your defense to prevent you from getting into jail. That is why you should hire the services of good specialized attorneys that have the knowledge and expertise of the laws and the experience in handling such cases. With their help you will be able to defend yourself from the cases hurled against you, helping prove your innocence or save you from jail time and having your license suspended or worst, cancelled.