Cold-hard Facts about Burn Injuries

burn injury lawsuit

The American Burn Association, a group focused on research about care, education, prevention, and rehabilitation of burn injuries came up with a study of burn injury incidence for 2012. In this study, the ABA reveals some cold-hard facts about this stinging type of injury. Here are some of the group’s observations:

Approximately 450,000 people are currently receiving treatments for burn injuries. However, their might be some cases that were left unrecorded. Their might be people that are currently being treated at smaller hospital clinics, some community health centers, and even at private medical officers. More than these cases being minor ones, the ABA believes that the number of such facilities that were samples is a bit too small to provide reliable burn estimates.

  • There were 3,400 deaths caused by fire and burn deaths. Vehicle crash fires caused about 300 of those fatalities, 2,550 were from residential fires, and 550 were caused by a number of other causes. From the 550 deaths, 400 were from contact with electricity, hot objects, or scalding liquids. Smoke inhalation or flame burns in non-residential fires caused the remaining 150. Usually, the deaths from fire and burn are combined since such cannot be easily distinguished from the deaths caused by non-burn causes like toxic smoke.
  • Around 40,000 people were hospitalized because of burn injuries. This includes the 30,000 people treated at hospital burn centers. So far, 127 burn centers have been receiving and treating 60 percent of acute cases of hospitalization due to burn injuries. These centers average approximately 200 annual admissions due to injuries. Some acute care hospitals on the other hand average less than 3 burn admissions every year.
  • According to a 2012 report of the American Burn Association’s Burn Repository, 96.1 percent of those who get involved in accidents survived their ordeal.
  1. A mix of different things caused the injuries. Around 44 percent of the injuries were caused by fire or flame, 33 percent were due to scalds, 9 percent were caused by contacts, 4 percent of electrical burns or electrocution, 3 percent by exposure to chemicals, while the remaining 7 percent were caused by other different reasons.
  2. Males are the most likely victims of fire and burn injures accounting to 69 percent of the cases, the remaining 31 percent were females.
  3. Caucasians are more prone to getting burn injuries as it accounts for 59 percent of the total recorded cases. African-Americans follow suit at 19 percent, 15 percent for Hispanics, and 7 for other races.
  4. Most burn accidents happen at home. 69 percent of the instances happened at home. The workplace comes second as 9 percent of recorded incidents happen to people while working. 7 percent of the cases happened on streets and highways, 5 percent in recreational or sporting activities, while the remaining 10 percent happened in different places.

Over the years, there are regular instances of burn Injury accidents in California. That is why you should take all the necessary precaution to avoid it. However, there are some things that are not within one’s control. However, if you do get injured because of one’s actions, you do not have to worry for there are personal injury claims that you can file. Ask your burn injury lawyer about what you should do to file the necessary cases to get compensation for those injuries. To have better chances of winning the case though, you should not just entrust your case to anybody. Hire the services of the best specialized attorney to help you get the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries and have the best chances of winning your case.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s